Though we don't issue permits at Minnesota Film and TV, we're happy to connect you with the people who do! 

When in doubt about the need for a permit for any of Minnesota's cities and towns, roadways, waterways and parks, call or email Jade Orth,  612.767.0095 or



City of Minneapolis

To obtain a permit to film in the city of Minneapolis you must complete the ROWAY online permit application form.  The ROWAY application covers street and sidewalk obstruction permits, police (traffic control), water hydrant permits, amplified sound and meter hooding.  Regulatory services staff cannot respond to permit requests until the online application form has been submitted.

Be sure to provide as much information as possible to assist Minneapolis regulatory services staff in approving your permit. Please note: the City of Minneapolis does not provide barricade equipment or an on-site liaison.

After completion of ROWAY application if you require additional assistance contact Andrea Swenson in Regulatory Services., 612-673-3263 

Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board

Contact : Customer Service Department. You must complete the application before calling. 
Phone : 612.230.6400
Fax : 612.230.6513
Email :
Information: Completed applications can be faxed, scanned or e-mailed to the Park Board.  Click here to download the permit application form. Park Board staff cannot respond to permit requests until they have received an application.  Be sure to provide as much information as possible to assist Park Board staff in correctly assessing your fee. 

City of Minneapolis Parking Ramps

Contact : Tim Blazina
Phone : 612.673.2242
Email :
Information: Please send an e-mail outlining your request before calling.  All requests must be in writing. (including the ramp at the Walker Art Center)

City of Minneapolis Traffic Control

Contact : Scott R. Kramer
Phone : 612.673.2383
Email :
Information: Please note that office hours for this department are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Mall Of America


For a great location trailer about shooting at MOA, click here

To discuss shooting at MOA, contact any member of the Public Relations Department by calling 952.883.8810 and ask for public relations.

University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota
Contact : Nancy Bertino
Phone : 612-626-8963
Email :

Thank you for your interest in using the University of Minnesota as a location for your upcoming production.  Our historic campus, buildings, and scenic interior and exterior locations provide exceptional locales for any production.

To submit a request to film on the University’s campus, please complete our filming request form located on our Filming and Photography Campus website.  Be sure to provide as much information as possible to assist with an expeditious review of your request.  Filming fees apply, rates are dependent on multiple factors.

Any questions, after completion of the filming request form, can be directed to


Minneapolis College

If interested in filming at Minneapolis College, please contact Meg Giesen.

Meg Giesen, MS.

Central Scheduling Coordinator

Minneapolis College

1501 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55403

Direct: 612 659 6892


Fax: 612 659 6825

Walker Sculpture Garden - Minneapolis, MN

Contact : Christopher James, Associate Director, Public Relations
Phone : 612.375.7651
Email : 


City of St. Paul

Website:  Film it in St. Paul
Information: The "Film it in Saint Paul" website is THE resource for information about filming in the city, including street permits, parks, traffic control and security and Saint Paul location assistance. 


Permits for streets and sidewalks:

Public Works Right-of-Way Office

Phone: 651.266.6151


Park Permits:

Division of Parks and Recreation

Phone: 651.266.6400

Minnesota State Capitol

Contact : Anne Johnson, State Capitol Facilities Manager
Phone : 651.201.2300
Information: To obtain permission for shooting at the state capitol follow the application instructions posted here.

All City of St. Paul Parks

Contact : Eric Thompson, Recreation Program Supervisor 
Phone : 651-266-6441
Including: Including Harriet Island, Como Park, Upper Landing

Como Park

Como Park Zoo and Conservatory

Contact :

Matt Reinartz, Marketing and Public Relations Manager

Phone : 651-487-8294
Email :


Upper Midwest Film Office

The Upper Midwest Film Office works collaboratively with the Minnesota Film and TV Board and other regional, national, and international interests to attract production opportunities.

UMFO is the administrator of the St Louis County Rebate incentive.  Other services include location, crew and service referrals, permitting assistance, initial location scouting,  press and public relations help, introductions to key officials, and the primary point of contact for professional services in Northern Minnesota.


Shari Marshik,  Executive Director 218 461 1628

Riki McManus, Chief Production Officer. 218-940-3770

Minnesota State Parks

Contact : Debrah Locke
Phone : 651-259-5695
Email :
Information: Shooting in Minnesota State Parks requires a permit from the individual park. Fees vary according to the complexity of the shoot and the park usage.

Lake Minnetonka

Contact : Steve Carroll, Media Unit Supervisor
Phone : 651.259.5342
Email :

Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Lakes and Wildlife Areas

Contact : Steve Carroll, Media Unit Supervisor
Phone : 651.259.5342
Email :

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Construction Codes and Licensing Division

Contact : John I. Williamson, Supervisor Electrical Inspections
Phone : 651.284.5823
Email :
Website :
Information: Important information regarding electrical licensing, electrical inspections, equipment approval, and the requirements of the National Electrical Code for filmmaking, motion picture production, and similar entertainment projects and events that employ portable generators, vehicle- or trailer-mounted generators, portable electrical power distribution, and all other electrical work as defined in Minnesota statutes.

Minnesota State Troopers

Primary Contact : Bruce Gordon, Director Communications, MN Dept. of Public Safety
Phone : 651.201.7171
Email :
Information: State highway/freeway filming only. State troopers are not required on all shoots. When shooting on county roads or municipal roads, local jurisdictions will handle police.


Metro Transit

Contact : Drew Kerr
Phone : 612.349.7758
Fax : 612.349.7675
Email :
Information: Metro Transit issues permits for shooting on all metro buses, trains, rail station platforms and park and rides.

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) Roadways

Contact : Buck Craig, Roadway Regulation Supervisor
Phone : 651.234.7911
Email :        
Information: The Minnesota Department of Transportation issues permits for shooting on state highways and freeways only. Contact local jurisdictions for county and city roads.

Metropolitan Airports Commission

Guidelines & Application: Terms and Conditions for filming at MSP Airport

MAC Airport Commission Filming Application
Contact: Katlyn Kaiser
Phone: 612.726.5574
Email :
Information: A permit from the Airport Director's Office is required for anyone without valid media credentials wishing to conduct commercial photo shoots or filming at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport or on any Metropolitan Airports Commission-owned properties, including the Reliever Airports. Permit applicants also must pay all applicable location, labor and administrative fees and provide required proof of insurance prior to taking photos or filming. Photo shoots or filming in areas leased by airlines, food or retail concessions, or other entities also require approval of the respective leaseholder.